Artist Marketing Resources from Our Toolbox
We thought it would be helpful to create a resource page that you can “dig into” any time of day (or night).
As we discover and test-drive new art marketing resources we will add them to this page. We recommend book-marking it for your reference and future convenience.
Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links to products that will earn us a commission. This list is comprised of tools and trade resources that we have experience with and that we are recommending because they are relevant to the business of marketing art, helpful and are companies that have integrity. Under no circumstances would be recommend a product for the sole purpose of earning a commission.
Blogging, Online Portfolios, Website Design
- WordPress: WordPress is an easy to use and FREE publishing platform that allows you to update your own content. Our new Fidelis site uses WordPress!
- WordPress Plugins: Download any plugins, widgets, or customizable elements for your WordPress blog.
- NattyWP Premium Themes: The ultimate resource for premium looking WordPress themes. Our site is made from a NattyWP theme and was customized to meet our exact needs.
- Premium WordPress Themes: We’ve used Templatic themes for several other blog-style websites. They offer Premium themes (including a “store front” for e-commerce) at a “club price” to buy all their style sheets at a discount—you could share them with other artist friends.
- GoDaddy: Offers easy to use installation and good customer service. They also offer packages for domain registration and hosting for as little as $10/month.
- Namespro: Also offers website hosting and domain registration. We have also found their tech support helpful.
Product Distribution & Shopping Carts
- Paypal: We have had good experiences with Paypal managing the e-commerce side of our Vineyard Collection website. You’ll need an account to configure with and accept payments from your shopping carts.
- Skype – the whole world can talk for free: With Skype you can make free calls over the Internet. For both business and personal online communications, you can save a bundle off of your long distance charges. Use Skype between computers, as well as to and from landlines. We use Skype to communicate for free b
These are free service, that are helpful when writing content for your website and blog.
- WordTracker Free Keywords Tool: Spits out a number for the popularity of a keyword of your choice. Search volume numbers can be compared to find the perfect niche, or to choose keywords for your blog posts.
- Google Adwords Tool: A tool to help you decide what keywords to use for your Adwords campaigns. You can also check to see the popularity of certain keywords and the competition for ads for those keywords as well.
- Seo Keyword Ranking: An excellent tool to keep track of the keywords you’re working on. Excellent interface and really easy to use.
- Thinkmap Visual Thesaurus: I find this helpful when I’m searching for words and titles, especially when I am looking to pair an image with my posts. You can be a paid subscriber, or they have a trial version for first-timers.
Social Media and Networking
- Flickr: Take advantage of their free online image hosting or purchase a Premium Subcription to host your complete inventory. You can also link to your Facebook Fan page and your Blog.
Only for the very serious. To maximize the effectiveness of these powerful tools you will need to dedicate the time to setting up ad programs and manage them. We have the most experience with Adwords, which proved effective when we first launched our printmaking services. The nice thing, you can set your budget (Caution: Be sure to monitor your spending daily at the beginning to make sure you have not made expensive choices in the network marketing, this cost me $700 one month, ouch!)
- Google Adsense: Make money by placing relevant ads on your website that are generated from advertisers using Google Adwords. This is free to use, but you have to register for an account.
- Google Adwords: If you want to begin advertising on Google, you can select keywords and locations and you pay each time someone clicks on your advertisement.
Email Subscriptions & Marketing
- Aweber: The internet’s most powerful email opt-in service and email marketing/broadcasting tool. This is an amazing tool that can be preset to be fully automated —building subscribers to your website, 24/7. We use this tool for making announcements, posting exhibitions, shows and special promotions.
Off-set Printing, Brochures, Business Cards, Mailers
- Magenta Printing & Imaging: Owner, Mike Timoffee is a master of customer service. He will get you the best possible price out there. Magenta is sticky about quality and colour calibration—so your artwork will always look great in print. If you needed it yesterday, call Magenta.
- VistaPrint.ca: If you have lots of time and a very small budget try using this online print shop. They have lots of templates to use or you can upload your own artwork. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality, however, the cost of shipping was more than my order. Search online for VistaPrint coupons and special promotions.
- Kathi Hagan: Copy-writing and editing services. Perfect for artist statements, grant proposals, or a cruise through your website to correct glaring mistakes in your text.
- Beyond the Box: We’ve had a ten year relationship with Beyond the Box. Finally a website designer that won’t disappear when you need them! A great service for artists who need a simple portfolio style website or something more complex with e-commerce. Ask about there package pricing for design and hosting.
- 99Designs: This is a unique website that you can use if you need a professional logo designed. I love that they offer an option to purchase from their “ready-made” designs. Many of the designs are fantastic quality for $100/logo. You can also submit a project and various designers will quote for the job.